Yep. You read that correctly. I just made what I'm affectionately referring to as "smoothie muffins." I initially was going to make mango muffins, but before I starting mixing the batter, I failed to check to see if I had ripe mangoes. I did not. Emergency plan: raid freezer. I discovered about a 1/2 cup of frozen mango, 3 giant frozen peach slices and about 10 strawberries. I pureed them, tossed it in the batter, and thought to myself, "What the heck? It's just fruit."
Smoothie Muffins (Makes 12 full-size muffins)
1 c all purpose flour
1 c wheat flour
3 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 c brown sugar (or honey if you prefer)
1/4 c applesauce (or veg. oil)
1 c almond milk (or regular milk)
1 egg (I used 1 T flaxseed and 3 T water instead)
1 1/2 c of whatever fruit you want
1. Preheat to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, applesauce, milk and egg.
4. Add dry to wet just until combined. Avoid overmixing. Fold in your fruit.
5. Spoon into greased muffin tin or baking cups and bake for around 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick a few times to make sure they're baked through.
I added a crumb topping that I had leftover from another recipe, but it's certainly not necessary.